About the project
Royal North Shore Hospital (RNSH) occupies an area of approximately 13 hectares on Reserve Road, St Leonards. RNSH provides essential health services and buildings on the site to support the delivery of acute clinical services, medical research and community health care.
An opportunity exists to transform an area within the site, known as the Herbert Street Precinct, to create a vibrant new health precinct ensuring world class health, education and wellness facilities are available to serve the community now and into the future.
Housing and Property Group
Property & Development NSW (PDNSW), a division of the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment, (DPIE), in partnership with NSW Health and the NSW Department of Education, is developing a concept plan for the redevelopment of the Herbert Street Precinct. The area occupies 2.27 ha within the southern campus of RNSH, fronting Herbert Street and bound by Reserve Road.
The plan proposes the development of a new health precinct that provides affordable key worker housing, short stay accommodation, office space and educational facilities. Additionally, the plan proposes to restore heritage structures and create extensive open space and access to and through the site.
The precinct will include new and enhanced public open space alongside reflective spaces for patients, staff and visitors.A significant portion of the development is proposed to include health-related commercial uses, including short stay accommodation for visiting patients and carers.
Affordable and key worker housing
Apartments will not be for sale, the proposal would deliver up to 500 apartments comprising 75 per cent key worker affordable housing, prioritised for the staff of the Northern Sydney Local Health District, with the remaining 25 per cent designed as built to rent apartments. This will allow key health service personnel to live close to their jobs, providing many social, economic and health service benefits for the local community.
PDNSW and the NSW Department of Education are working closely to determine future education infrastructure needs of the St Leonards community as part of the concept plan for the Herbert Street Precinct. This work is in line with the NSW Government’s commitment to prioritise planning for new educational facilities in St Leonards.
Connectivity, public amenity and heritage
A key focus of the plan is to consider opportunities to improve open space available to staff, patients and visitors of RNSH, supporting both physical and reflective care. The proposal would facilitate a much-needed upgrade to the access through the RNSH site from St Leonards Station and Herbert Street, alongside significant public domain and open space improvements.
The new development proposes commercial and retail offerings at ground level to improve activation between RNSH and St Leonards Station.
A review of the existing heritage buildings is underway to identify opportunities for alternative adaptive re-use that will support investment in their restoration. Potential future uses of the buildings may include a mix of hospital, community, commercial office, retail and medical uses. Connectivity and activation of the heritage buildings will serve as a balance between the new proposed development and preservation of the existing heritage significance of the site.
St Leonards Crows Nest 2036 Plan
Following the release of the final St Leonards Crows Nest 2036 Plan in August 2020, the concept plan has been reviewed to align with the priorities for RNSH and surrounds.
Preliminary consultation with a broad range of community and project stakeholders has commenced. PDNSW is seeking feedback on the project design and proposed outcomes as part of the investigation phases. We are keen to hear your thoughts and invite you to participate in this early consultation to ensure the plan reflects the broad needs of the RNSH cohort including patients, staff, visitors and the surrounding community.
Two online webinars were held on the 1st and 2nd of December 2020 which included a presentation of the concept plan and answered the community’s questions about the proposal. To view a recording of the webinars please visit the following links:
The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the project are being updated to include the community’s questions raised during the webinars and consultation and will be uploaded here.
Statutory consultation will occur as part of the design and planning assessment process. This is anticipated to occur mid-2021.
Please send any comments or questions to email@example.com. Your feedback may be shared with other agencies involved in this project in order to properly consider or act on the issues you raise.