Project area and levels
- 21,600m² in total to accommodate about 1900 public sector workers.
- Dedicated whole-of government touchdown space.
Local government area
City of Sydney
B8 - Metropolitan Centre
$58 million in cost savings over 20 years
Practical completion achieved in mid-2020, with touchdown space to be operational by end-September 2020.
Housing and Property Group
The Housing & Property Group manages the State’s significant property portfolio and places.
The Property & Development NSW (PDNSW) team is responsible for the management and delivery of large scale or complex real estate projects and transactions.
What has been delivered?
PDNSW sought a long-term government office accommodation lease within the Southern Sydney CBD for a number of tenant agencies, as well as a dedicated whole-of-government touchdown space.
231 Elizabeth Street has had a major base building refurbishment to deliver a modern and flexible workplace to suit the occupant agencies' operational requirements for years to come.
Key objectives of the project include:
- delivery of a modern, efficient, flexible and sustainable A-grade office workplace
- government workplace consolidation
- ability to adapt to machinery of government changes
- contributes to the NSW Government’s Decade of Decentralisation policy.
The project is complete. However, given the current COVID-19 environment, staff are yet to fully occupy the building.
231 Elizabeth Street delivers a state-of-the-art, dynamic, technology-enabled and flexible workplace that will inspire employees to deliver high-quality service for the people of New South Wales.
Floor plates are large, with interconnecting stairs creating vertical villages.
- Improved building quality
- Security of a long-term occupancy tenure
- Environmental performance enhanced (a minimum of 5.5 Star NABERS Energy and 4 Star NABERS Water ratings)
- Flexible touchdown space within the Sydney CBD
- Promotion of flexible work practices
- Occupancy costs stabilised through securing a long-term tenure
- Workplace churn costs reduced by providing greater flexibility that will ensure an efficient use of space over the long-term.
- More efficient office footprint (20.6 per cent reduction) by consolidating seven existing locations into one
- Greater facility management efficiencies
- Supports key Government objectives, including Decade of Decentralisation and Office Accommodation policies; space utilisation targets; and office fit-out design principles.
Agencies are working together with PDNSW to deliver this project and achieve cost and ongoing operational efficiencies.