- 64,905m² in total
- 43,940m² Department of Planning, Industry and Environment
- 18,675m² Department of Customer Service
- 2,290m² Department of Regional NSW
Building 4, Parramatta Square, Parramatta
Local Government Area
City of Parramatta
B4 Mixed Use
- Agency area: 60,010 m²
- Workpoints: 5,187
- Area-to-workpoint ratio: 11.5
- Casual desks: 446
- Total desks: 5,622
- Collaboration spaces: 2,130
Housing and Property Group
The Housing & Property Group manages the State’s significant property portfolio and places.
The Property & Development NSW (PDNSW) team is responsible for the management and delivery of large scale or complex real estate projects and transactions.
What is proposed?
PDNSW secured long-term leased office accommodation for the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE), Department of Regional NSW (DRNSW) and Department of Customer Service (DCS).
Parramatta Square will be a vibrant, three-hectare, mixed-use precinct, located at the centre of Parramatta’s CBD, within easy walking distance to the city’s parks, recreation and retail facilities.
Key objectives of the project:
- delivery of modern, sustainable, A-grade office accommodation
- agency consolidation
- delivery of an efficient, flexible, agile and dynamic workplace
- ability to adapt to machinery of government changes
- contribution to the NSW Government’s Decade of Decentralisation policy
- support for the Greater Sydney Commission’s objectives for Parramatta as the second Sydney CBD.
PDNSW completed a public expression of interest and request for tender procurement process, and selected Walker Corporation to deliver the lease commitment.
The development was delivered in late 2019, with all agencies moved in by June 2020.
PDNSW led the fit-out design and project delivery in partnership with the agencies.
The building design includes large, modern, efficient floor plates with interconnecting stairs. A state-of-the-art dynamic, flexible workplace that provides an inspiring contemporary work environment, enabling employees to deliver quality services for New South Wales.
Increased variety of work settings
- Delivery of fit-out with a range of work settings to suit individual, team and project work requirements.
- Supports flexible-working policy.
Improved building quality
- Moving from existing B- and C-grade buildings to a new, modern A-grade building.
- Surrounded by quality CBD amenity next to public transport.
Increase sustainability outcomes
- Improving environmental outcomes with a 5 Star NABERS Energy, 4 Star NABERS Water, 5 Star Green Star rated building.
- Consistent fit-out design throughout the building to achieve equity and improved workplace experience.
- Attracting and retaining staff by providing a modern workplace.
- Ability to adapt to machinery of government changes easily.
Occupancy costs reduced
- Efficiency of scale for lease transactions rather than smaller tenancies of similar quality.
- Replacing aging fit-outs not fit for purpose and subject to high ongoing maintenance costs.
Fit-out procurement savings
- Economy of scale achieved in procurement.
- Common building fit-out.
Reduction in duplication of facilities
- Opportunity to share facilities including training, conference
Reduction in space / efficiency
- Reduction of 10,500 m2 of existing office space across agencies.
- Implementation of flexible workplace at 0.8 ratio.
Reduced risk exposure
- Reduce risk of escalating occupancy costs. Improved security of tenure with a 12-year lease and two 5-year options.
Government Objectives Supported
- Decade of Decentralisation policy
- Office Accommodation policy
- Office Fitout Design Principles
- Space-utilisation targets
- Parramatta, Sydney’s second CBD
- Cross-agency collaboration.
- Agencies have worked together with PDNSW to deliver this project and achieve cost and ongoing operational efficiencies.