43,800m² in total
- 29,720m² Department of Communities and Justice
- 12,340m² Department of Planning, Industry and Environment
- 740m² Greater Sydney Commission
- 1,000m² touchdown space
6 Parramatta Square
Local government area
City of Parramatta
B4 Mixed Use
- Nov 2021 – 2,7185m²
- Mar 2022 – 12,325m²
- Nov 2024 – 4,290m²
Housing and Property Group
The Housing & Property Group manages the State’s significant property portfolio and places.
The Property & Development NSW (PDNSW) team is responsible for the management and delivery of large scale or complex real estate projects and transactions.
What is proposed?
PDNSW secured long-term leased government office accommodation within Parramatta for Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ), the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment (DPIE), and the Greater Sydney Commission (GSC).
Parramatta Square will be a vibrant, three-hectare, mixed-use precinct, located at the centre of Parramatta’s CBD, within easy walking distance to the city’s parks, recreation and retail facilities.
Key objectives of the project:
- delivery of modern, sustainable, A-grade office accommodation
- agency consolidation
- delivery of an efficient, flexible, agile and dynamic workplace
- ability to adapt to machinery of government changes
- contribution to the NSW Government’s Decade of Decentralisation policy
- support for the Greater Sydney Commission’s objectives for Parramatta as the second Sydney CBD.
PDNSW completed a public expression of interest and request for tender procurement process, and selected Walker Corporation to deliver the lease commitment.
PDNSW is leading the preparation of the fit-out design with Woods Bagot Architects as the designers. This is occurring in partnership with the agencies.
The development will deliver large, modern, efficient floor plates with interconnecting stairs. 6 Parramatta Square will deliver a state-of-the-art, dynamic, flexible workplace that will provide an inspiring contemporary work environment enabling employees to deliver quality services for NSW.
The fit out will be collaborative and consistent to facilitate agency consolidation, spatial flexibility, and the realisation of financial benefits for the state.
Improvement in building quality
- Accommodated within a building that is A-grade quality.
- Modern and efficient lifts, air conditioning, lighting, security and end-of-trip facilities.
Long-term occupancy tenure secured
- New 12-year lease with two 5-year lease extension options.
Environmental performance enhanced
- Improving environmental outcomes with a minimum of 5.5 Star NABERS Energy, 4 Star NABERS Water, 5 Star Green Star rated building.
Flexible touch down space
860m² of space to operate a whole of government flexible touch down facility.
- Solution for the demand for temporary office accommodation within the Parramatta CBD.
Promotion of flexible work practices
- Create a workplace that promotes flexible work practices including collaboration and innovation, employee productivity, engagement, diversity, and more.
Occupancy costs stabilised
- Long-term occupancy tenure secured.
Workplace churn costs reduced
- Quality and consistency of the office accommodation portfolio will be improved.
- Provides greater flexibility to ensure efficient utilisation of space over the long term.
More efficient office footprint
- Consolidate 11 existing locations into a single location.
- Reduction in utilisation from 13.68m²/FTE to 10m²/FTE.
- Reduction in office footprint by 19%.
Greater facility management efficiencies
- Improved efficiency in property management focus given the reduced number of buildings.
Government objectives supported:
- Decade of Decentralisation policy
- Space utilisation targets
- Parramatta as the second CBD.
- Cross-agency collaboration.
- DCJ, DPIE and GSC are working together with PDNSW to deliver this project and achieve cost and ongoing operational efficiencies.
Corporate opportunities to ensure efficient implementation across:
- ICT and security
- facilities management