Wet or hot and muggy weather can lead to mould in your home. Mould is serious – it can cause asthma and other health issues, and it can wear out furniture and even walls, floors and tiles faster.
To help stop it:
- open your windows on dry and sunny days
- turn on a fan to create airflow
- turn on an exhaust fan when bathing, and close the bathroom door to stop moisture escaping into living areas
- vacuum, remove dust, and clean kitchens and bathrooms
- open wardrobes to air out clothes
- don’t hang wet clothes in living areas or bedrooms
- ensure clothes dryers are adequately ventilated and regularly remove lint from the filter.
Here are a few tips to safely clean mould off surfaces:
- Use white vinegar from a supermarket diluted with water (1 part vinegar to 4 parts water) on walls and tiles.
- For more delicate materials, use warm soapy water – it won’t kill the mould, but it will slow it down.
- Remember, avoid bleach as it can create toxic fumes and discolour, rather than remove, mould.
- Use leather cleaner on items like leather shoes and bags.
Please call us on 1800 422 322 and press 1 if you suspect mould has been caused by a water leak or other maintenance-related issue.