$87.82m over 2 years, to June 2024
What is to be delivered?
- 30,000 home sites rezoned
- 32,500 home sites approved from assessment of state and regionally significant applications
- Easy online service from the NSW Planning Portal
How will it be delivered?
The Department of Planning and Environment will:
- prioritise resources for a simple, faster planning and assessment process including:
- reducing state significant assessment times from 120 days to 100 days
- reducing regionally significant assessment times from 366 days to 275 days
- reducing planning proposal assessment times from 571 to 380 days
- 90% of planning issues referred to other state agencies determined within agreed timeframes
- fit for purpose employment zones that support job growth
- case manage services to resolve high value and complex housing applications
- have a planning ‘concierge’ to help people use the NSW planning system
- integrate the NSW Planning Portal into council processes to deliver online services.
Who will benefit?
The program builds on recent reforms to the planning system and will benefit:
- the community who can easily access planning services
- councils to deliver streamlined planning services
- housing developers who can invest in NSW with more certainty
What are the key milestones?
- December 2022: All local environmental plans updated with fit for purpose employment zones to improve ability of businesses to establish, expand or adapt
- June 2023: Report on expedited housing supply from Faster Local Assessment Grant Program
- December 2023: Digital integration of council systems through NSW Planning Portal Application Programming Interfaces (API) Grant funding
- June 2023: Benchmark planning assessment times achieved
- June 2024: 30,000 home sites rezoned and 32,500 home sites approved
What are the key benefits?
- Faster planning approvals to boost housing supply
- Councils have increased capability and capacity to meet planning demand
- Timely, certain and transparent planning system
- Easier dealings with government
- Improved outcomes for applicants because of support for state-wide integration of council systems with NSW Planning Portal