$33.78m over 4 years
What is to be delivered?
Key policy changes to deliver 127,000 homes across regional communities over the next 10 years.
How will it be delivered?
- Roll out of an Urban Development Program to ensure supply of development-ready land for new homes
- Benchmark targets for housing supply and serviced land in regional NSW
- Monitoring of key housing performance indicators via digital data platforms
- Regional Housing Strategic Planning Fund to prioritise upfront planning
- Removing the barriers to diverse and affordable regional housing through policy reform
Who will benefit?
The program strengthens the future supply of housing in regional NSW. It will benefit:
- regional communities, with more homes to own or rent
- regional councils to deliver more housing opportunities
- housing developers who can invest in regional NSW with more certainty
What are the key milestones?
- December 2022: Round 1 of Regional Housing Strategic Planning Fund grant recipients announced
- December 2023: Publish the guide for UDP implementation in Regional NSW
- Quarter 2 2023: Publish Regional Housing Pipeline Assessment methodology to audit the amount of development ready land and identify infrastructure needs
- June 2023: Expanded Urban Development Program to first tranche of high-growth regional areas
- June 2023: Implementation of the Housing Evidence Centre stage 2
- June 2024 - 2026: Further expansion of the Urban Development Program to more high-growth regional areas and annual rounds of Regional Housing Strategic Planning Fund
What are the key benefits?
- Supply of more development-ready land for housing
- Improved coordination of infrastructure to bolster housing supply
- Strategic approach to planning for housing across regional councils
- Increased regional housing supply
- Informed decision making using improved regional housing data
- The ability to measure the performance of the planning system and the housing pipeline, from rezoning, servicing and approvals to home completions