$32.029m to Local Aboriginal Land Councils
What is to be delivered?
The department's Aboriginal Strategy and Outcomes team, in partnership with Local Aboriginal Land Councils, will deliver:
- Increased economic, social and cultural outcomes for discrete NSW Aboriginal communities by giving them a say in infrastructure upgrades and planning changes
- Construction by Aboriginal businesses and other local businesses that will see increased job and training opportunities for local Aboriginal community members
- Subdivision and zoning changes to give addresses to individual dwellings to make it easier for residents to access municipal services and utilities
- Sustainable land use
Who will benefit?
61 discrete Aboriginal communities (former reserves and missions).
What are the key milestones?
- In progress: Consultation with stakeholders to determine which communities are most in need of infrastructure upgrades
- 30 June 2023: Completion of consultation with selected communities
- December 2023: Completion of the development and planning phase
- 30 June 2024: Commencement of civil construction
- 30 June 2025: Project completion
What are the key benefits?
- Increased economic, social and cultural outcomes for the selected Aboriginal communities
- Communities determine what infrastructure upgrades and planning changes are needed
- Increased job and training opportunities for community members
- Proper addresses for individual dwellings to make it easier for residents to access municipal services and utilities
- Opportunities for home ownership because of subdivision of land