COVID Safe Summer
As the weather warms up, we’re helping councils, public space managers, small business owners and the community with our COVID Safe Summer Plan (PDF 906KB).
This plan supports the latest public health orders and includes practical ideas, case studies, tools, resources and a guide to help keep NSW’s public spaces COVID safe.
By working together we can help keep these public spaces open and accessible.
COVID Safe Summer Plan
- Mark out safe distancing in our parklands and popular open spaces
- Promote the ‘keep a towel length between you’ campaign
- Deliver a COVID safe summer program of events in our parklands and public spaces
- Support local businesses in high streets, plazas and precincts
- Work with councils
Building on the plan, our COVID Safe Summer Guide (PDF 3.5MB) offers practical tools, examples and ideas for public spaces in NSW. The content is supported by the following four attachments to the Guide:
- Case Studies (PDF 4MB) – a selection of local and international case studies that demonstrate COVID safe measures
- Resources and insights (PDF 1.27MB) – a guide for public space managers including insights and links to help keep the community stay safe during the pandemic
- Beach messages (PDF 548KB) – a tool for public space managers to support local communities with COVID safety around water
- How to guide: Marking out Places for People (PDF 457KB) – a tool for public space managers on how to mark out places for people
These resources will support community safety across NSW. This means our beaches, ocean pools, waterfronts and parks, can stay open to boost community health and happiness.
For all the latest information on COVID-19 please refer to the NSW Government website.
My Favourite Places
We’ll continue to monitor visitor numbers at our parks and public spaces, but encourage everyone to enjoy summer by exploring less-travelled places within their local neighbourhood. There are a wealth of alternative options for those times when iconic destinations become too crowded.
We encourage everyone to walk or cycle to new public spaces in your neighbourhood and explore, find or rediscover your New Local. Some great examples of hidden gems from a range of NSW councils are found in The New Local (PDF 3.3 MB).
We want to hear about your favourite places to visit, whether it's a great street, community facility or open space. Use this map to share your recommendations about the best hidden gems in your neighbourhood or to find a new adventure close to your home.