About the program
The Festival of Place.. in your streets is coming to streets across NSW!
The NSW Government is supporting local councils to open streets for community events and activities, including in those areas most impacted by lockdowns, revitalising public spaces with activations across the state and paving the way for longer-term changes to the way we use our streets.
The Festival of Place in your streets supports the Greener Public Spaces Premier’s Priority to increase walkable access to quality public open space in urban areas across NSW.
The program will provide re-energised and more, better and activated public space to support community wellbeing and economic recovery, as lockdowns lift and as we support efforts to make the most of the outdoor lifestyle we all love and enjoy.
This initiative will see more streets reimagined as places for people, whether that’s new walking paths, turning asphalt into art, providing pop-up parklets, or trialling and testing new ways to use our streets towards permanent changes that enhance walkability.
- The Festival of Place Open Streets Program ($6.5 million): The department is seeking to partner with the 12 former LGAs of concern and the City of Sydney in areas most impacted by lockdowns to open streets across Greater Sydney for community events and activities, to commence as soon as possible.
- For more information view The Festival of Place Open Streets FAQs (PDF, 119.5 KB).
- The Festival of Place Summer Night Fund Program: The department is offering all NSW councils up to $15,000 from the Summer Night Fund for free, COVID-Safe activations or events in public spaces in local centres.
- Streets as Shared Spaces Program (Round 2) ($20 million): The department is offering grants of up to $500,000 to councils across NSW for trial projects that test permanent changes that strengthen the amenity, accessibility and economic vitality of a high street and surrounding area.
- Long Summer Nights Program: The Rocks, Darling Harbour, and The Domain will celebrate summer with re-imagined and newly created areas with outdoor dance floors, live music, theatre and comedy shows under the stars.
Plunge into the SUMMER OF 20YOU! Darling Harbour has something for every you - from water activities, interactive installations, live music, outdoor dance stations and more. Program to be announced in December!