Public Space Ideas Competition winners announced
Winning entries for the Public Space Ideas Competition were announced on 4 November 2020, with voting for a People’s Choice Award to run for two weeks in the Sydney Morning Herald in November.
The Ideas Competition aims to shape a new conversation about public space in Sydney and is being delivered in partnership with the Committee for Sydney. More than 500 entries were received after a call went out in August for public submissions that reimagine, inspire, create, include and bring awareness to public spaces across Greater Sydney.
Watch the Public Space Ideas Competition judging video:
See the winning ideas
A panel of experts decided on the winning entries across eight categories. They were chosen from a field of more than 500 applications.
- Best Public Facility Idea: The Modern Carpark, Canterbury Bankstown Council
- Best Resilient Public Space Idea: Unlocking South Sydney's Newest Blue-Green Grid, RobertsDay
- Best Open Space Idea: Urban micro-meadows, Cred Consulting
- Best Street and/or Plaza Idea: My street is a park, Georgina DeBeaujeu
- Best Temporary and/or Low-Cost Public Space Idea: 30 kph limit for non arterial roads, The Walking Volunteers
- Best Student Award: Common(s) Utilities, Janelle Woo and Gracie Grew
- Best Children and Young People Award: A Bushland Experience, Bianca Hales and Molly Flanagan
- Minister for Planning and Public Spaces Award: Greening pipes to cool Sydney’s west, ARUP
People's Choice Award
See how the community voted in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Hear from the competition winners
Following the announcement of the winners of the Public Space Ideas Competition, join us to hear from each of the winners on the inspiration and creativity behind their idea. In a novel format, each presenter will show 20 slides for 20 seconds each, resulting in a fun, fast-paced journey through the best ideas for public space in Sydney.
This event will also be the announcement of the People’s Choice award, which is still open for your vote.
Date: Thursday 19 November
Time: 12.00pm-1.00pm AEDT
- Presenting partners, Committee for Sydney and the NSW Government
- Industry partner, Australian Institute of Landscape Architects
- Lead consultant, AECOM
- Media partner, The Sydney Morning Herald
The Public Space Ideas Competition is aligned to the Premier’s Priority to deliver great public spaces. It is also part of The Festival of Place, a year-long program of virtual and physical events exploring, celebrating and reimagining our civic places.
For more information about the competition please visit Public Space Ideas Competition website.