We’re creating quality open spaces to enhance community well-being and make our places more liveable
Access to great open space near where you live has never been more important.
New and improved open spaces to swim, play, roam, ride and connect with nature are being delivered across New South Wales through a $50 million investment by the NSW Government.
This investment in quality open spaces in communities across the state supports the delivery of a pipeline of new homes with improved neighbourhood spaces to connect, unwind, relax and play. It will also deliver jobs, stimulate businesses and encourage recreation and visitor economy.
Over three years, the NSW Government is delivering on this commitment to high quality open space through the provision of grant funding, pilot and demonstration projects and the creation of best practice design guidelines. This will contribute significantly to the NSW Government’s Premiers Priorities to increase the proportion of homes in urban areas within 10 minutes’ walk of quality green, open and public space by 10% by 2023, and planting 1 million trees across greater Sydney by tree planting by 2022.
What are the program objectives?
The objectives of the Open Space Program are to:
- support community health and wellbeing for NSW residents
- contribute to the post pandemic economic recovery of NSW through the creation of jobs, stimulating businesses and the recreation and visitor economy
- support investment in the creation of high-quality public and open spaces to create a lasting community benefit
- address critical shortfalls in freely accessible public places
- contribute to the delivery of the NSW Government priority for Greener Public Spaces by increasing the proportion of homes in urban areas within 10 minutes’ walk of quality green, open and public space by 10% by 2023.
Places to Swim
The Places to Swim program will support the creation of places for the community to enjoy Sydney’s rivers, lakes and harbour. We will be working with councils and eligible state agencies to improve access to water for swimming and other passive recreation, such as kayaking and paddle boarding.
For more information, view the Places to Swim guidelines.
Places to Play
The Places to Play program builds on the commitment that Everyone Can Play. Play projects funded under this program will be expanded to promote adventure play (such as skate parks, pump tracks and mountain biking), water and nature-based play and will offer new outdoor recreation opportunities for all ages and abilities in NSW. These projects will create more and better places for the community to come together, enjoy the outdoors and play.
Places to Roam
The Places to Roam program will deliver a series of open space, greenway and community garden projects across Greater Sydney; making new great walks, more outdoor recreation, nature, open space and waterways more accessible to communities.