Greater Sydney projects
- Canterbury-Bankstown Council – Lakemba Ramadan Lights - $1,000,000 – Haldon St, Lakemba
The project will transform Lakemba’s Haldon Street with footpath widening, seating, planting, trees and artwork, creating a safe, comfortable and attractive space enabling people to gather, socialise, and participate in community life.
- City of Canada Bay – Heart of Drummoyne – $1,000,000 – Church St, Drummoyne
Building on the success of a Streets as Shared Spaces trial, this project will create new public spaces next to Victoria Road, by closing Formosa Street and providing places to sit, trees, art, play opportunities and an outdoor dining space.
- Hornsby Shire Council – Coronation StrEat! - $999,600 – Coronation St, Hornsby
The project will re-purpose an existing carpark on Coronation Street to create a new public space, celebrating the heritage infrastructure and providing a space for celebration, outdoor dining, farmers markets, live music and other activities for all to enjoy.
- Inner West Council – Wardell Road Public Domain Improvements - $1,000,000 – Wardell Rd, Dulwich Hill
The project will transform Wardell Road with new footpaths, landscaping, street furniture, undergrounding overhead powerlines, street lighting and public art, contributing to commercial life of the high street precinct in the evenings, improving accessibility and walkability and leveraging the investment in Sydney Metro.
- City of Parramatta – Phillip Street Smart Street - $1,000,000 – Phillip St, Parramatta
This project continues the transformation of Parramatta’s CBD, leveraging light rail investment and revitalising an important streetscape with smart city elements including condition-responsive lighting, street furniture with built-in USB ports, smart irrigation, surveillance, public artwork and lighting, and a continuation of the successful Streets as Shared Spaces trial in Phillip Lane.
- Penrith City Council – Renewing the Heart of Kingswood - $926,782 – Bringelly Rd, Kingswood
The Project will focus on enhancing the village vibe at the core of Kingswood through high-quality interventions that improve connection, safety, economic growth and support creativity. New life will be injected into this important walking route, with greening, street furniture, wayfinding and creative elements.
- Randwick City Council – Maroubra Junction Central Oasis - $1,000,000 – Anzac Parade, Maroubra
The Project will create a new public space for passive recreation and seasonal events in the heart of Maroubra, bringing together two halves of a divided town centre by converting a wide median strip into an urban oasis with a raised turf platform, seating, lighting and landscaping.
- Ballina Shire Council – Lennox Village Vision: Ballina Street Where We Connect - $995,904 – Ballina St, Lennox Head
The Project will upgrade the streetscape of Lennox Head’s commercial centre by slowing traffic, widening footpaths, adding street lighting and additional seating, providing places for the community to pause, connect and gather whilst retaining the village atmosphere.
- Gilgandra Shire Council – The Mill on Miller Street - $598,198 – Miller St, Gilgandra
The Project builds on the success of a Streets as Shared Spaces trial with a project that will link the heart of Gilgandra with the natural beauty of the Castlereagh River and established Windmill Walk, with landscaping, a new stage area for events and activations, improved accessibility, lighting and public art.
- Griffith City Council – Kooyoo Street Plaza Development - $1,000,000 – Kooyoo St, Griffith
The project will enhance a street that links the primary commercial and retail streets of the Griffith CBD, creating a space that can be closed to become an urban plaza for cultural and art events, markets and holiday celebrations, with improvements to traffic, pedestrian, retail and outdoor eating amenity.
- Hay Shire Council – Witcombe Place Phase 2 - $333,752 – Lachlan St, Hay
The project will enhance an existing underused public space, creating much needed community space in the centre of Hay. The space will be enhanced with trees, seating and public artwork, creating a civic space that complements the heritage setting.
- Maitland City Council – Grant Street to Ken Tubman Drive - $594,000 – High St, Maitland
The project will unlock an underused public space with a new shared zone with seating, improved footpaths and street treatments, a parklet and a vertical garden, enhancing connectivity with Maitland’s civic and cultural precinct including the Maitland Regional Art Gallery and Town Hall.
- Moree Plains Shire Council – Cooling Moree’s High Street - $998,500 – Balo St, Moree
The project will create a safe space and thermal comfort for the community by planting more trees, shade structures, misters, traffic calming devices and lighting along Balo Street.
- Parkes Shire Council – Making Trundle’s wide street the high street of choice - $945,400 – Forbes St, Trundle
The project will revitalise the Trundle main street, enhancing pedestrian comfort and safety with pedestrian refuges and tree planting, and a new community hub to provide a gathering spot and events space to draw in the community and passing motorists.
- Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council – Monaro Lanes - $505,701 – Monaro St, Queanbeyan
Two pedestrian laneways that act as a key connector to Queanbeyan’s high street will be brought to life with historical and cultural theming, distinctive lighting and an open-air art gallery, improving pedestrian connection, safety and promoting new commercial opportunities.
- Shoalhaven City Council – Junction Court Revitalisation - $935,424 – Junction St, Nowra
The project will reorient Nowra’s Junction Street as a pedestrian-oriented environment with spaces for events and gathering, creating additional pedestrian space, redesigning kerbs, adding seating and tables and a play zone.
- Tweed Shire Council – The Murwillumbah High Street Beautification Project - $589,963 – Wollumbin St, Murwillumbah
Aiming to encourage walking and lingering, this project will enhance connections from the entry of the town to the main retail area, regional park, arts and heritage precinct, by greening the urban environment, adding street furniture, public art, pedestrian blisters and landscaping elements.
- Wagga Wagga City Council – Beautification of Fitzmaurice Street and connection to riverside pathway - $271,000 – Fitzmaurice Street, Wagga Wagga
The project seeks to revive Fitzmaurice Street as a focal point for the region and enhance connections to the riverfront, leveraging investment in a waterfront trail and counteracting the dominance of nearby shopping centres in recent decades. Beautification and activation of the high street will include lighting, artwork, parklets, bike features and wayfinding.
The Your High Street grant program supports councils across NSW to make permanent improvements to the amenity and functionality of their High Streets. The program recognises the importance of public spaces in strategic centres to support community and economic recovery.
The second webinar has speakers from Transport for NSW, Office of Local Government, and the Committee for Sydney discussing what quality high streets consist.
The final webinar covers the importance of consultation and engagement with your local community and businesses, with speaker from various NSW Councils, and the Premier’s Priority Team.
Learn more with our related links: