Building on the success of the award-winning Streets as Shared Spaces grants program, the NSW Government announced the Your High Street grant program in November 2020. Your High Street aims to enhance the amenity and functionality of high streets throughout NSW to support local business recovery, boost economic stimulus in response to the pandemic, improve the comfort and experience for the community, and enable permanent improvement projects. Grants of up to $1 million are available for councils to deliver improvements for a high street by May 2022.
The program supports delivery of the Premier’s Priority to increase the proportion of homes in urban areas within 10 minutes’ walk of quality green, open and public space.
Funding aims to:
- Improve/increase number of uses over day and night
- Improve safety and comfort for people
- Improve local accessibility and connections
- Increase footfall and capacity for trade for businesses
Your High Street applications are now closed, with successful and unsuccessful applicants to be informed in April 2021.
The program supports the delivery of the Premier's Priority to increase the proportion of homes in urban areas within 10 minutes' walk of quality green, open and public space.
For further details about Your High Street, see below:
- Grant guidelines (updated) (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Project Evaluation - Core Indicators (PDF 666.7 KB)
- Project Community Consultation Survey Template (PDF 875.6 KB)
- Commonly Asked Questions (PDF 2.8 MB)
- Transforming your High Street case studies (PDF 811.6 KB)
The Department has released a refreshed Public Space during COVID-19 survey in parallel to the Your High Street grant program, to find out how the use of public spaces has changed. This followed a survey early in 2020 which sought feedback on the use and value of public spaces in NSW during the pandemic. Feedback was compiled in the Public Spaces: Streets as Shared Spaces Engagement Report (PDF 4.5 MB). Insights from both surveys will inform the Department to better plan and deliver public spaces which meet community needs both now and into the future.
Streets as Shared Spaces grants
Through the Streets as Shared Spaces program, the NSW Government awarded grants to councils for temporary activation projects to support the community during COVID-19 and test ideas for more permanent improvements to local streets, paths and public spaces.
This award-winning $15 million program launched in May 2020, was a pilot to enable improvements across NSW during COVID-19 and into the future which:
- support essential workers to travel to work, and people working from home
- contribute to NSW economic recovery in our local centres by creating vibrant streets and additional safe space to support local business
- activate high streets to create better quality public space
- support physical distancing requirements and encourage safe social connection
- support the well-being of local communities and their ability to exercise
- attract people back into public spaces in a safe way, when appropriate to do so.
Projects are intended to test and build the case for more permanent changes. Councils are leading the projects and will consult with the community and stakeholders to evaluate success and make changes as needed.
Applications closed on 10 June 2020.