The NSW Government is funding councils to deliver temporary demonstration and pilot projects to support the community and test ideas for more permanent improvements to local streets, paths and public spaces.
This award-winning $15 million program launched in May 2020, as a pilot to enable improvements across NSW during COVID-19 and into the future, which:
- support essential workers to travel to work, and people working from home
- contribute to NSW economic recovery in our local centres by creating vibrant streets and additional safe space to support local business
- activate high streets to create better quality public space
- support physical distancing requirements and encourage safe social connection
- support the well-being of local communities and their ability to exercise
- attract people back into public spaces in a safe way, when appropriate to do so.
Grants were available for:
- short-term, quick response projects or programs that test, pilot or incubate changes to streets in line with the objectives of the program (‘Category 1’)
- medium-term pilot projects that improve or activate streets as shared public spaces (‘Category 2’)
Piloting ideas with tactical interventions and pop-ups allows councils, the community and stakeholders to trial innovative ideas. Projects are intended to test and build the case for more permanent changes. Councils are leading the projects and will consult with the community and stakeholders to evaluate success and make changes as needed.
Streets as Shared Spaces projects
52 temporary demonstration and pilot projects are being delivered across the state. Projects include testing new paths, connections and cycleways, re-imagining lanes and carparks as public space, calming traffic and creating semi-permanent art including murals and lighting.
View the list of successful projects (PDF, 388.54 KB) and see how these projects are testing streets as shared spaces in the following video.
Streets as Shared Spaces grant resources
These resources support the Streets as Shared Spaces program: