Register to be notified
We will contact you when more free trees are available:
Am I eligible?
You are eligible if you answer yes to all of the following criteria:
- you have an address in one of the 33 local government areas (LGAs) in Greater Sydney; and
- you have not already applied for a free tree(s) in 2021.
What local government areas are eligible?
The 33 Greater Sydney LGAs:
- Blue Mountains
- Canada Bay
- Georges River
- Hunters Hill
- Inner West
- Lane Cove
- North Sydney
- Northern Beaches
- The Hills
What trees can I order?
In November, we gave away the following trees:
- Leptospermum scoparium ‘Pink Cascade’ 200mm
- Leptospermum polygalifolium ‘Copper Glow’ 200mm
- Callistemon citrinus ‘Kings Park Special’ 200mm
- Callistemon citrinus ‘Hannah Ray’ 200mm
- Backhousia Myrtifolia 200mm
- Citrus limon 'Eureka Lemon' 10L
- Citrus sinensis 'Washington Navel Orange' 10L
- Citrus sinensis 'Valencia Orange' 10L
- Citrus reticulata 'Imperial Mandarin' 10L
- Citrus quartifolia 'Tahitian Lime' 10L
Over the course of the giveaway residents will be able to order privacy, shade, flowering and fruit trees.
Where can I pick up my tree(s) from?
Bunnings will let you know when your trees are ready to be picked up. Once Bunnings have been in contact you will have 7 days to pick up your free trees from your local Bunnings store.
Bunnings Warehouse have over 40 participating locations to collect your order from, including:
- Alexandria Warehouse
- Ashfield Warehouse
- Balgowlah Warehouse
- Bankstown Warehouse
- Belrose Warehouse
- Blacktown Warehouse
- Bonnyrigg Warehouse
- Campbelltown Warehouse
- Caringbah Warehouse
- Carlingford Store
- Castle Hill Warehouse
- Chatswood Warehouse
- Crossroads Warehouse
- Dural Warehouse
- Eastgardens Warehouse
- Gladesville Warehouse
- Gordon Store
- Greenacre Warehouse
- Gregory Hills Warehouse
- Hoxton Park Warehouse
- Katoomba Store
- Kingsgrove Warehouse
- Kirrawee Warehouse
- Kotara Warehouse
- Lidcombe Warehouse
- Marsden Park Warehouse
- McGraths Hill Warehouse
- Minchinbury Warehouse
- Narellan Warehouse
- Narrabeen Store
- North Penrith Warehouse
- Northmead Warehouse
- Padstow Warehouse
- Penrith Warehouse
- Rockdale Warehouse
- Rose Bay Store
- Rouse Hill Warehouse
- Rydalmere Warehouse
- Seven Hills Warehouse
- Smithfield NSW Warehouse
- Thornleigh Warehouse
- Valley Heights Store
- Villawood Warehouse
- Warringah Mall Store
How do I order my free tree(s)?
- Create a Planning Portal Account or log in with your MyServiceNSW details
- Once in the Planning Portal you may be taken to a page that says, “Nothing but space” or a see a blank screen. Click on the blue box with three lines in the top left-hand corner of your screen or on the + (plus sign).
- Click on ‘Free Tree Application’
- Complete the form including which tree(s) you wish to claim. Please note you must select your tree from the drop-down list; we suggest that you start by typing your street name. If you don’t select your address from the drop-down box, ‘Your property is not eligible for a Free Tree’ will appear. If you’ve selected your address from the drop-down box, but still see this error, please email Admin_FreeTrees@dpie.nsw.gov.au
- Click ‘Submit’. Once submitted you will receive a confirmation email.
- Wait for Bunnings to let you know your tree(s) are ready to be collected. This will either be an email, phone call or text.
I have already ordered a free tree in 2021, can I order another tree?
- If you have already claimed a tree in 2021: no, unfortunately, you cannot apply for a free tree again at this time
- If you claimed a tree in 2020 (but not 2021): yes, we hope you enjoyed your tree(s) and we are keen to support you again in 2021
What happens if I miss out on free trees?
You can register your interest on this webpage via a webform. People who register will be notified on the day the giveaway reopens.
More trees are expected to be added to the giveaway in early 2022.
What if I plant a tree(s) outside of the free tree giveaway?
If you’re planting a tree(s) outside of the giveaway, register it to be counted towards one million new trees across Greater Sydney by 2022.
How are COVID-19 restrictions impacting my free tree(s)?
In participating in the free tree giveaway, you agree to adhere to NSW Health guidelines when collecting your tree(s). Your safety and the safety of others is extremely important to us.
Read the latest rules and restrictions on the NSW Government website.
Where can I find planting tips and resources to care for my tree(s)?
If you need help caring for you tree(s) or even selecting new ones to plant, you can visit our tree care tips page and watch videos with expert Peter Dawe from the Royal Botanic Garden's Youth Community Greening.