Sign up to receive updates about the Greening our City Premier’s Priority:
Why is Government giving away Free Trees?
The Giveaway is part of the Greening our City Premier’s Priority, which aims to plant one million trees in Greater Sydney by 2022. Planting one million trees will provide more shade, cleaner air and more beautiful places to live. To reach the one million trees target we need individuals like you to play a part and plant trees in your own backyard and Government wants to help out by providing a free tree to eligible households.
The 33 Greater Sydney LGAs:
- Blue Mountains
- Canada Bay
- Georges River
- Hunters Hill
- Inner West
- Lane Cove
- North Sydney
- Northern Beaches
- The Hills
What trees can I order?
From March to May, 1,000 orders will be made available each month to eligible households. Households will be able to claim one of the following orders:
- Edible trees: 2 x140mm pots, or 3 x tubestock
- Non-edible trees: 3 x 140mm pots, or 4 x tubestock
During the Giveaway, the list of available tree species may be adjusted, to respond to availability.
Why is La Perouse the only pick up location?
From March to May, La Perouse is the only pick up location because it’s the home of our partner IndigiGrow – an all Aboriginal owned, run and staffed nursery. Further partners will be announced in June 2021, with a range of pick up locations across Greater Sydney.
Are there any limits on the Free Tree Giveaway?
- a limited number of trees are available every month, so get in quick and apply now
- the Free Tree Giveaway will run for 8 months for the first 13,500 households to apply, with the first round (between March-May) delivering trees for up to 3,000 of those households
- only one order per household from March to October 2021 (subject to change)
- once you have been contacted to inform you that your tree(s) are ready, the tree(s) must be picked up within 7 working days.
I ordered Free Tree in 2020, can I order another tree this year?
Yes. We hope you enjoyed the tree(s) you ordered in 2020 and are keen to support you again in 2021.
If you’re planting a tree(s), register it to make it count, every tree planted gets us one step closing to planting one million trees by 2022.