Greening our City grants
Greening our City grants support local councils and their partners to enhance urban tree canopy and green cover by co-funding tree planting and demonstration projects across Greater Sydney.
The first round of grant funding was awarded in early 2019 with thirty-two projects being approved for over $5.3 million across 20 councils in Greater Sydney.
Greening our City grant program – now open
The 2020 Greening our City grant program is now open. Up to $12.5 million is available to fund new projects under the following two grant streams:
- Stream 1: Cooler suburbs – up to $10 million available to Greater Sydney councils for tree planting projects in streets, parks and other areas where there is low canopy coverage.
- Stream 2: Green innovations – up to $2.5 million available to Greater Sydney councils and partners for demonstration projects that enhance, protect and/or showcase trees and urban greening.
Thirty-three Local Government Areas make up the Greater Sydney Region. Councils within the Greater Sydney Region (see below) and their partners are eligible to apply.
The grant program is funded under Five Million Trees for Greater Sydney, which is the overarching initiative that is delivering the Greening our City Premier's Priority.
DPIE is partnering with Local Government NSW in the administration of this grant round.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm (AEST) on Wednesday 19 August 2020
Greening our city grant program – information session
Click below to watch the Greening our City Grant Program information session to:
- hear about the work underway to deliver the Premier’s Priority of Greening our City.
- learn more about the grant program.
Both funding streams are discussed, including eligibility and assessment criteria, the online application process, and guidance on how to use the online spatial tool.
Watch the Greening our City Grant Program - Information Session video.
Frequently asked questions have been updated below to include answers to the questions asked during the session as well as to address other enquiries received since the grant round opened.
Guidelines and supporting materials
The Greening our City Grant Program Guidelines and frequently asked questions provide assistance for the application process.
- Greening our City Grant Program Grant Guidelines for 2020 (PDF 8MB)
- Stream 1: Cooler suburbs – frequently asked questions August 2020 (PDF 54KB)
- Stream 2: Green innovations – frequently asked questions August 2020 (PDF 46KB)
Online spatial tool
We have developed an online spatial tool and user guide to assist in the submission and assessment of grant applications for stream 1. Whilst essential for stream 1 grant applications, it is also available to all users to provide access to data about urban canopy cover, urban heat islands and heat vulnerability indices.
- Online spatial tool for Stream 1: Cooler suburbs grant applications
- Online spatial tool quick reference guide (PDF 62KB) – a ‘how to’ for grant applications using the online spatial tool.
Watch our online tutorial about the Online Spatial Tool to assist grant applicants applying for stream 1.
Water efficiency report
A water efficiency study was commissioned to provide guidance for councils and their partners to support responsible tree planting. Applicants are encouraged to draw on this study as part of their application.
- Water Efficiency Study for Urban Tree Management Report (PDF 3.7MB)
- Water Efficient Solutions for Trees (Matrix) (PDF 462 KB)
Canopy cover range
The allocation of funding for this stream will prioritise suburbs with lower canopy levels. Outcomes of this assessment will be compared with projects in similar canopy ranges to determine the recommended funding allocation.
Thirty-three councils across the Greater Sydney Region are eligible to apply.
- Blue Mountains
- Canada Bay
- City of Sydney
- Georges River
- Hunter’s Hill
- Inner West
- Lane Cove
- Northern Beaches
- North Sydney
- The Hills
For grant enquiries contact Local Government NSW:
- Phone 02 9242 4042