Over the period 1966-1974 the NSW Government undertook investigations and prepared reports into the water resources of 32 valleys in NSW, considering climate, streamflow, land use, demands within the valley, and opportunities to provide better access to water. The results of these investigations were documented in a series of 28 published reports which include analysis of the available climate and flow data.
We have been collating copies of these reports for historical interest, and they are naturally a product of their time. Water resource management in NSW has continued to evolve since that time, and our current Regional Water Strategies reflect a more contemporary approach, with far greater consideration of environmental and social issues.
If you require assistance to access the information within these surveys please contact the water enquiries team on 1300 081 047.
Survey of thirty two NSW River valleys
- Water resources of Bega Valley report – March 1966
- Water resources of Richmond valley report – May 1966
- Water resources of Macintyre and Severn valleys report – July 1966
- Water resources of Lower Hunter and Karuah Valleys report – August 1966
- Water resources of Gwydir Valley report – September 1966
- Water resources of Macquarie valley report – September 1966
- Water resources of Castlereagh Valley report – March 1967
- Water resources of Shoalhaven valley report – October 1967
- Water resources of Tweed and Brunswick valleys report – January 1968
- Water resources of Towamba and Genoa valleys report – February 1968
- Water resources of Clarence Valley report – May 1968
- Water resources of Macleay valley report – May 1968
- Water resources of Hastings valley report – November 1968
- Water resources of Manning valley report – November 1968
- Water resources of Upper Hunter Valley report – September 1969
- Water resources of Namoi valley report – March 1970
- Water resources of Peel valley report – March 1970
- Water resources of Moruya valley report – July 1970
- Water resources of Bellinger and Nambucca Valleys report – August 1970
- Water resources of Tuross valley report – August 1970
- Water resources of Clyde valley report – September 1972
- Water resources of Dumaresq Valley report – March 1971
- Water resources of Lachlan valley report – September 1962
- Water resources of Murrumbidgee valley report – October 1972
- Water resources of the Hawkesbury Valley report, Part A – January 1973
Strategic plan 2009
The NSW Strategic Water Information Monitoring Plan (PDF, 1615.72 KB) is a requirement under the $80 million Modernisation and Extension of Hydrologic Monitoring Systems Program administered by the Bureau of Meteorology. The plan lists all the water information needs in the state and outlines the current data inventory and monitoring programs used to report on and manage water in New South Wales. The plan also reports gaps in data and systems relative to the data delivery requirements of the bureau.
Read the detailed report on Water inventory and observation networks in New South Wales, as outlined in the plan.Download the report (.PDF 2769KB)