Located in the Yanga and Murray Valley (Millewa) National Parks, the Murrumbidgee and Murray National Park Project is one of the projects being brought forward as apart of the SDLAM Acceleration Program.
The Yanga National Park and Millewa Forest projects will provide improved environmental watering regimes to enhance environmental and cultural outcomes in these national parks by 2024.
Through the project, the NSW Government will be able to deliver strong environmental and community benefits including:
- more targeted water delivery, increasing the viability of native grasses, shrubs and trees
- reduced potential for the local spread and dominance of river red gum saplings in Moira grasslands and floodplains
- increased fish passage and improved supply of floodplain carbon to river food webs
- improved wetland condition, function and structure resulting in more favourable conditions for waterbirds and aquatic fauna
- a reduced incidence of over-watering and under-watering, which is attributed to increased mortality of native flora species
- improved conditions for Connection to Country.