A NSW Government website

Plans and Policies

How to buy a LAHC house

The NSW Land and Housing Corporation (LAHC) supports tenants to transition from social housing into the private housing market.
One way we do this is by providing the opportunity for tenants to buy the LAHC-owned social house they are renting, where possible. This usually happens when a tenant can afford to buy a house and the social house they are living in is no longer required by LAHC.

This transaction is governed by the Tenant Purchase of a LAHC Social House policy.

Read the Tenant Purchase of a LAHC Social House policy

Download the Tenant Purchase application form

How to buy a LAHC-owned house

If you are a social housing tenant living in a LAHC-owned social house, you can apply to buy the social house if:

  • You are the head tenant on the lease
  • You can show you have, or can borrow, the funds to buy the social house at market value
  • You have paid the correct rent for the last five years
  • You don’t owe any rent at the time when you apply.

Step 1 – Research the market value of the house

When LAHC sells its social houses, it sells them at market value.

First, you need to do your own research on the market value of the house you are living in – to find out how much it would likely cost to buy.

You can look at recent sale prices for houses in your area which have the same number of bedrooms on the internet. You can also ask local real estate agents.

Once you have a good idea of what the market value is, you will know how much money you are likely to need to buy the house you’re living in.

Step 2 – Make sure you have enough funds to buy the house

Before you can lodge your application, you need to make sure you have enough money to buy the house – usually by combining your savings and a home loan from a bank or other financial institution.

You will need a ‘loan pre-approval’ from a bank or lender and/or proof of savings.

This will need to equal the market value of similar properties in the area plus home purchase costs.

If you are Aboriginal, there may be some home purchase supports you can access. You can ask the Aboriginal Housing Office by phoning (02) 8836 9431 or emailing homeownership@aho.nsw.gov.au.

Step 3 – Apply to buy the house

To apply:

  • download and complete the Tenant Purchase application form
  • provide evidence of funds to purchase the house e.g. a loan pre-approval and/or bank statement equal to the market value of similar properties in your area and any home purchase costs
  • make a payment of $220 by money order, bank cheque or electronic payment as a contribution towards LAHC’s costs to have an independent valuation completed for the house (this usually involves a valuer visiting the house).

LAHC’s details for electronic bank payments are:
Bank account: NSW Land and Housing Corporation
LAHC Account Number: 170622
LAHC BSB: 032 001
Ref: (your rental account number)

Lodge your application (together with your bank cheque or money order if relevant) by post to:
NSW Land and Housing Corporation
4 Parramatta Square, 12 Darcy Street
Parramatta NSW 2150


Submit your application online via our Contact Us page.

Step 4 – LAHC will consider the application

After we receive your application, we will contact your tenancy manager.

We will confirm your rent is up to date and the information you have provided about your tenancy and any co-applicants.

We may contact you if we need more information.

We will contact you if you haven’t shown you have enough money to buy the house.

Once we have all information, we will assess your application.

LAHC will decide whether it wants to sell the house – for example if it is very well located near shops and services that would be needed by other social housing tenants, we would likely want to keep it, rather than sell it, so it is available as social housing in the future for others.

  • If LAHC approves the sale of the house, we will let you know in writing and offer your home at a fixed price.
  • If LAHC decides not to sell the house, we will let you know in writing and refund the $220 fee. (If you are not happy with this decision you can request a review within four weeks of being notified of the decision).

Step 5 – Buy the house

If we approve the sale and you decide to buy the house, you will need to:

  • accept and sign the letter of offer
  • arrange your own conveyancer/ solicitor to help you with the buying process
  • send your signed offer letter and the name and contact details of your conveyancer/ solicitor to LAHC within 30 days of the date of the letter.

Your conveyancer/solicitor will then complete the conveyancing process up until settlement together with LAHC’s legal team.

For more information

Find answers to frequently asked questions along with information about home ownership assistance that may be available to help you buy a house.

Email us via our Contact Us page.

Download this information as a PDF

Tenant frequently asked questions

Answers to frequently asked questions from tenants, about applying to purchase the social housing property they live in.

NSW Government logo

Home ownership assistance

A range of information and sources about government assistance that may be available to help social housing tenants buy a house.

NSW Government logo