The NSW Government owns the land at 7-11 Nelson Parade in Hunters Hill. As a result of previous private industrial activity on the land, soils along the foreshore area contain contaminated material.
The site previously operated as a lead and zinc smelter from 1897 to 2004.
In order to remediate the site, contaminated soil (impacted by heavy metals, lead and zinc) generated from the smelting works were encapsulated in containment cells.
As part of the development of the Eraring Power Station (circa 1980), dredging occurred to construct a cooling water inlet canal. Dredged spoil was placed on approximately 4 hectares of land at Dora Creek.
The former Belrose Waste Management Centre ceased landfill operations on 7th November 2014. Waste Assets Management Corporation (WAMC) currently oversee the management and maintenance of the closed site.
The former Belrose Closed Landfill accepted household waste from 1972 to 2014.
WAMC is responsible for managing the waste mass including monitoring groundwater, surface water, landfill gas, leachate levels in the waste mass and treated leachate.