PDNSW manages the state’s significant property portfolio and works closely with its government agency tenants to delivery quality, efficient and sustainable workplaces.
The NSW Government Net Zero Plan Stage 1: 2020–2030 Implementation Update has an objective to reduce emissions by 50% below 2005 levels by 2030.
Our leading building sustainability programs and practices, led by the Environmental Service Group, have more than halved our emissions from the financial year 2015-2016 as the baseline year.
In 2021, PDNSW became the first government agency in Australia to achieve a 5-Star Green Star Performance rating across its owned commercial office portfolio of 22 buildings in metropolitan and regional NSW.
The same year it achieved carbon neutral building certification for whole building operations from Climate Active for 22 buildings across the owned office portfolio.
In 2022, PDNSW received the international Global Facility Management’s Gold Award of Excellence for Portfolio Sustainability and Environmental Outcomes, recognising the following achievements:
- Portfolio average NABERS Energy rating of 5.4 stars
- Portfolio average NABERS Water rating of 5.2 stars
- 5 Star Green Star – Performance rating for a portfolio of 22 buildings through the Green Building Council of Australia
- Climate Active (Carbon Neutral) certification for a portfolio of 22 buildings.
ESG has introduced a number of initiatives to drive operational efficiencies to improve building sustainability, including:
- Rooftop solar PV systems: 47 sites with 2.34 MW total capacity.
- Energy efficient lighting: 52 sites with whole building LED lighting and controls upgrade.
- Internet of Things (IoT): IoT smart building monitoring technology at 11 sites for remote monitoring of real time indoor environment quality parameters such as indoor temperature, humidity, particulate matter, Carbon Dioxide, Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) and light levels to provide comfort conditions for all occupants. Low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) emissions materials such as paints, adhesives, sealants, carpets and carpet underlays mandated for all buildings.
- Water efficiency: 292,000L capacity of rainwater harvesting systems at 15 sites. Amenities upgraded to low-flow and highly water efficient fittings and fixtures at 94 sites.
- Waste education: Identifying opportunities to divert waste from landfill by educating tenants and promoting good waste practices.
- Fit-for-purpose landscapes: Ecological reviews at 11 sites to design drought and fire tolerant gardens using native flora of indigenous cultural significance.
Recent achievements include:
- Global FM Awards of Excellence in Facility Management 2022 – Winner of the Gold Award of Excellence in FM for Portfolio Sustainability and Environmental Outcomes
- FM Industry Awards for Excellence 2021 – Sustainability & Environmental Impact – Winner
- CitySwitch National Awards 2021 – CitySwitch National Partnership of the Year – Winner
- CitySwitch National Awards 2020 – CitySwitch National Signatory of the Year Over 2000 sqm – Winner
- CitySwitch National Awards 2020 – CitySwitch State Winners Over 2000 sqm – NSW Winner