|Project area and levels:|
|Local government area:||City of Sydney|
|Development:||Application: late Q4 2020|
|Zoning:||B8 – Metropolitan Centre|
|Benefits:||$58 million in cost savings over 20 years|
|Delivery timing:||Practical completion achieved in mid-2020, with touchdown space to be operational by end-September 2020.|
Housing and Property Group
The Housing and Property Group manages the State’s significant property portfolio and places.
The Property and Development NSW (PDNSW) team is responsible for the management and delivery of large scale or complex real estate projects and transactions.
What has been delivered?
PDNSW sought a long-term government office accommodation lease within the Southern Sydney CBD for a number of tenant agencies, as well as a dedicated whole-of-government touchdown space.
231 Elizabeth Street has had a major base building refurbishment to deliver a modern and flexible workplace to suit the occupant agencies' operational requirements for years to come.
Key objectives of the project include:
- delivery of a modern, efficient, flexible and sustainable A-grade office workplace
- government workplace consolidation
- ability to adapt to machinery of government changes
- contributes to the NSW Government’s Decade of Decentralisation policy.
The project is complete. However, given the current COVID-19 environment, staff are yet to fully occupy the building.
231 Elizabeth Street delivers a state-of-the-art, dynamic, technology-enabled and flexible workplace that will inspire employees to deliver high-quality service for the people of New South Wales.
Floor plates are large, with interconnecting stairs creating vertical villages.
- Improved building quality
- Security of a long-term occupancy tenure
- Environmental performance enhanced (a minimum of 5.5 Star NABERS Energy and 4 Star NABERS Water ratings)
- Flexible touchdown space within the Sydney CBD
- Promotion of flexible work practices
- Occupancy costs stabilised through securing a long-term tenure
- Workplace churn costs reduced by providing greater flexibility that will ensure an efficient use of space over the long-term.
- More efficient office footprint (20.6 per cent reduction) by consolidating seven existing locations into one
- Greater facility management efficiencies
- Supports key Government objectives, including Decade of Decentralisation and Office Accommodation policies; space utilisation targets; and office fit-out design principles.
Agencies are working together with PDNSW to deliver this project and achieve cost and ongoing operational efficiencies.