A NSW Government website

Water access licences and approvals

Specific purpose access licence

A specific purpose water access licence is granted for a specific purpose, and must be cancelled when the purpose for which it was issued ceases.

Creek under North West Rail Link Corridor, Sydney.

About the specific purpose access licence

This type of water access licence (WAL) specifies a purpose for which water taken under the licence must be used. It has additional conditions or restrictions such as the location where it can be used. Examples include:

  • local water utility and town water supply
  • domestic consumption
  • Aboriginal cultural or commercial purposes.

A specific purpose water access licence (WAL) must be cancelled when the purpose for which the WAL was issued ceases. The licence is restricted and cannot be traded.

How to apply

Please check the relevant water sharing plan to see whether an application for a specific purpose WAL can be made.

Application form

Use these documents to apply for a specific purpose access licence:

Submit your application

Submit by email

Email your completed application form and any other documents it requires to waterlicensing.servicedesk@dpie.nsw.gov.au.


Application fee: $3,021.98* (No fee for Aboriginal commercial, Aboriginal community development or Aboriginal cultural purposes).
An additional fee of $2,965.85 may be required for technical referral.*

*Fees and assessment times

*To find more information about related fees and applications visit the Fees and application forms page.

See the Assessment timeframes. page to find out how long your application will take.

Paying for your application

After we have accepted your application form, an officer from the department will call you to finalise your payment. You can pay the application fee by credit card or direct deposit.

See links to all application forms and fee schedules

Not sure about what you need?

We've developed the Water Assist tool to help you work out who to talk to and what steps to take to get the licences and approvals you need.