A NSW Government website

Water supply work and/or water use approvals

New water supply work and/or water use approval

Use the guide and application form to apply for a new water supply work or water use approval to extract water from a river, lake, or aquifer in NSW.

A birds-eye view of a river by a hospital

About new water supply work and/or water use approval

Water supply work approvals allow you to construct and use a work that takes water from a river, lake, or underground aquifer. Water supply works include pumps, bores, dams, weirs, irrigation channels, banks, and levees.

Water use approvals allow you to use water on your land. Irrigation, town water supply, power generation and mining are examples of water uses that require water use approvals.

Note: You can apply for a combined water supply work and water supply use approval on a single application.

How to apply

What you need

The application form lists all the documents and searches that must be provided with the application. For assistance in conducting the searches, refer to the Guide to searches.

Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Application form

Use these documents to apply for a new water supply work or water use approval:

Submit your application

Submit by email

Email your completed application form and any other documents it requires to waterlicensing.servicedesk@dpie.nsw.gov.au.

Fees *

Application fee: $1,708.86*

Approval typeLodgement feeAdditional fee
New Water supply work and/or water use approvalGroundwater$2,197.07$391.20 required for advertising  $2,864.02 required for technical referral
Pump$2,719.08$607.12 required for advertising
Dam$2,690.55$701.55 required for advertising

*Fees and assessment times

*To find more information about related fees and applications visit the Fees and application forms page.

See the Assessment timeframes. page to find out how long your application will take.

Paying for your application

After we have accepted your application form, an officer from the department will call you to finalise your payment. You can pay the application fee by credit card or direct deposit.

See links to all application forms and fee schedules


For some entities, water licences, water supply works and water uses are exempt from needing approvals.

Find out which under  Exemptions in the Water Management (General) Regulation 2018 (PDF, 190.95 KB).

Not sure about what you need?

We've developed the Water Assist tool to help you work out who to talk to and what steps to take to get the licences and approvals you need.